GARDEN FERTILIZER CALCULATOR click here
WISCONSIN FRUIT – UW FRUIT PROGRAM
Recent News / Upcoming Events, etc. — https://fruit.wisc.edu/
Wisconsin Horticulture- http://hort.uwex.edu/
April 10, 2017: European Chafer
June 23, 2017: Controlling European Chafer in Summer Months
Emerald Ash Borer
Starting Seeds Indoors
- Wisconsin plant varieties and planting calendar: https://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A1653.pdf
- Growing vegetables at home: https://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A2801.pdf
Home Garden Soil Testing
Garden soils should be tested about every 3 years. Sampling early in spring or late fall assures you will have recommendations before buying fertilizer.
What is needed: Approximately 2 cups of soil (dry). Put soil into a zip top plastic bag and bring it to the Door County Extension Office. A short form is completed to be sent with your sample. The cost is $15.00/sample, plus $2.00/sample for postage. Results are usually processed within 10 working days. If you would like more information, please contact the Extension Office at 920-746-2260. More specific information can be found at the UW Soils Lab website: http://uwlab.soils.wisc.edu/
- The Honey Bee’s Needs: Nectar and Pollen (PDF)
- Gardening in Small Spaces (PDF)
- Garden Pests and Beneficial Natural Enemies (PDF)
- 2014 Door County Agriculture Value and Economic Impact
- “Sampling Garden Soils and Turf Areas for Testing” – A2166 — Soil testing is the only reliable method for assessing plant needs for lime, phosphorus, and potassium.
- “Garden Fertilization” – A2304 — This publication discussed how to use soil test results and how to apply the recommended fertilizer to your garden for best flower and vegetable production.
- “Master Gardener Home Vegetable Guide” — Covers the basic needs of plants; What type of soil do you have?; Planning a vegetable garden; Planting schedule; Garden layout, and more.
- A3823 – Storing Fruit and Vegetables from the Home Garden — When stored and handled properly, fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden can add special appeal to meals long after harvest.
- A2727 – Harvesting Vegetables from the Home Garden — To ensure high quality, nutritious vegetables from your garden and to prevent waste, proper harvesting at the right stage of growth is essential.
Gardening News from Around Wisconsin
RELATED HORTICULTURE LINKS OF INTEREST
- Wisconsin Master Gardener Program
- UW – Department of Entomology Insect Diagnostic Lab
- UW – Extension Horticultural Publications
- UW – Plant Disease and Diagnostic Clinic
- UW – Soil and Plant Analysis Laboratory
- UW – The Wisconsin Gardener – Public TV
- UW – Urban Horticulture
- Water Resource Education Publications
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- University of Connecticut Plant Database
- USDA Plants Database
- Weed Science Society of America
If you have any questions regarding Horticulture in Door County, please contact:
Door County – UW Extension
County Government Center
421 Nebraska Street
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
Office Hours: M-F 8 am to 4:30 pm